WILLIAMSPORT — Among the 150 area high school students who attended this year’s Model United Nations event at Lycoming College on April 5, 2019 were 46 Williamsport Area High School students.
Students collectively or individually brought home a number of awards and recognitions:
· 18 won Superior Delegate awards;
· Four won Superior Delegation awards;
· Sam Mahler was runner-up for Best Delegate;
· Leo Daverio and Maya Holmes had their resolution pass by both the committee and general assembly;
· and Chris Raker, Cam Butler, and Devin Gray, representing Austria, won Best Delegation. According to its website, Model UN “is an authentic simulation of the UN General Assembly, UN Security Council, or other multilateral body, which introduces students to the world of diplomacy, negotiation, and decision making.
“At Model UN, students step into the shoes of ambassadors of countries that are members of the UN ... The students, better known as ‘delegates’, debate current issues on the organization’s vast agenda. They prepare draft resolutions, plot strategy, negotiate with supporters and adversaries, resolve conflicts, and navigate the UN’s rules of procedure — all in the interest of resolving problems that affect the world.”