WILLIAMSPORT -- The Williamsport Area School District Education Foundation’s alumni committee seeks nominations for the 2017 Williamsport Area High School Distinguished Alumni Awards.
The 2017 recipients will be installed on the forthcoming Distinguished Alumni Wall of Fame at WAHS this fall, where, for the first time, they will join previous awardees during a special ceremony on Oct. 4.
“WAHS has produced outstanding graduates through the years who have achieved or done great things, either in their field of work or through public service. This is one way to honor them for what they’ve accomplished and to bring them back to where it began,” said Kimberlee Fredo ’75, committee chairwoman.
Award categories have been established to recognize up to four individuals:
• Outstanding Recent Alumni Award: Given to an alumnus who has graduated 10 years ago or less. It recognizes outstanding service and accomplishments of an exceptional alumnus. Areas of service may include professional, personal and civic.
• Distinguished Alumni Service Award: Given to an alumnus who has provided outstanding service to his/her profession and/or community.
• Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award: Given to an alumnus who has modeled and employed a focus on achievement within his/her profession.
• Distinguished Alumni Humanitarian Award: Given to an alumnus who has provided extraordinary service for the benefit of others.
For those wishing to nominate an individual, either living or deceased, nomination forms are available at the Foundation office, 2780 West Fourth St. The form is also available online at www.wasd.org/alumni. For a person to be considered for an award, the following materials must be received on or by Sept. 1:
• a completed nomination form and the candidate’s resume or vita;
• provided evidence to support any philanthropy, community service, accomplishments, awards and distinctions (professional or otherwise), and military and public safety involvement;
• and at least one letter of endorsement and any material to support reasoning.
The alumni committee will evaluate each nomination and an announcement of this year’s recipients will be made on Sept. 8.
Those who have been previously recognized asDistinguished Alumni are Samuel E. Belle ’52, Frank Girardi’57, Dr. Samuel B. Hoff ’75, Dr. Frederic Sanford ’58, the late Jonathan Smith ’86, Marvin H. and Jean R. Staiman ’45, and William Stroup ’46.
The Distinguished Alumni Wall of Fame is being funded by the alumni committee, which plans to raise $3,500 to support the cost. To make a tax-deductible contribution, checks can be made payable to the WASD Education Foundation and mailed to 2780 West Fourth St., Williamsport, PA, 17701. Online donations also are being accepted at www.wasd.org/alumni.
Photo of WAHS Cherry and White staff as featured in the 1973 La Memoire provided by Williamsport Area School District.