- State News
- Gas Industry
Thompson Announces Deadline for Service Academy Nomination Applications
August 14, 2014
Bellefonte, Pa. – U.S. Representative Glenn ‘GT’ Thompson (PA-5), today announced October 1, 2014 as the submission deadline for high school seniors to apply for nomination for acceptance into the U.S. Service Academies for 2015.
“This year our office will be accepting Academy nomination applications up until October 1, 2014,” stated Rep. Thompson. “I would encourage students to contact the Academy in which they are seeking acceptance directly to open a pre-candidate application file, and then to contact my office to begin the process of applying for nomination.”
Detailed information on the Academy nomination application process, including the application itself and related guidance, can be accessed on Rep. Thompson’s website, www.thompson.house.gov, under the “Services” tab, or by calling (814) 353-0215.
“Should potential applicants have additional questions about the application process or need individual assistance, I would encourage them to contact my office’s Academy Coordinator by calling (814) 353-0215,” added Rep. Thompson.
Completed applications must be submitted to Rep. Thompson’s District Office at 3555 Benner Pike, Suite 101, Bellefonte, PA 16823.
The service academies accepting nominations through congressional offices are the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York; the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland; the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York. The U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut, accepts candidates based on its own testing criteria.
Basic requirements for applying for a nomination are:
- The candidate must be at least 17 years old but not have passed his or her 23rd birthday;
- Must be a U.S. citizen at time of application;
- Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents;
- Must reside within the boundaries of the 5th Congressional District of Pennsylvania;
- Must be able to meet the medical, physical and academic requirements set forth by the academies;
- Must submit a congressional nomination application, including all required information.
- Note: Students must also apply directly to the selected Academy by initially filing a pre-candidate application.