- State News
- Gas Industry
Five people dead in tragic carbon monoxide accident
By Kathy Kolb
May 4, 2014
Saturday in our area began as a quiet, pleasant Spring morning, but quickly turned into a day of tragedy that will likely linger with police and EMS workers for the rest of their lives.
At around 11:45 AM Saturday, an Ambulance call went out for multiple ambulances to respond to a cabin on the 405 Gap road property, near Elimsport, Pa. Five people had been found unresponsive. Soon after the ambulance call, the information that followed was chilling, "it is unknown how many of the 5 are viable." As emergency response ramped up with volunteers calling in reporting vehicles on the way to the scene, checking for possible Life Flight availability, co-ordinating between Union / Northumberland and Lycoming County dispatch and fire companies, the reports from the scene took on a somber tone.
Eventually, word from the scene came to hold all but two ambulances. Pennsylvania State Police arrived on the scene and started setting up an investigation site. The Lycoming County Coroner was called.
Late Saturday night we received the PSP report written by Trooper Angela Bieber via fax. All five people were pronounced dead at the scene. A propane fueled heat source running inside the cabin, possibily not properly ventilated, is suspected to be the cause. The investigation continues.
The report lists the deceased as:
Nathan L. Reese, 30 years of age, of Muncy, Pa
Jacqueline R. Stackhouse, 23 years of age, of New Columbia
Female juvenile age 9
Female juvenille age 4
Male juvenile age 3