DEP Awards $944,819 Mine Reclamation Contract in Clearfield County
The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) today announced it has awarded a $944,819 contract for the Salem Church abandoned mine reclamation project in Boggs and Bradford townships, Clearfield County.
Comprised of two separate sites about three miles apart, the Salem Church project will include grading, excavating, erosion control turf reinforcement, wildlife brush barriers and seeding.
"This important project will not only restore about 66 acres of scarred land in two municipalities, but also help ensure the safety of local residents and those who use the area for recreational activities," DEP Deputy Secretary for the Office of Active and Abandoned Mine Operations John Stefanko said.
Site B is located approximately one mile south of Bigler, and is the larger of the two sites at 62 acres. It was mined by Harbison-Walker Refractories and abandoned in 1970. There are six residences within 1,000 feet of the highwalls and the area is heavily used by ATV riders.
Site A is located approximately one mile south of Mineral Springs. DEP records for the site indicate it was mined prior to 1952. There are several residences within 500 feet of the highwall, with Wilson Road within 40 feet of the highwall.
The reclamation work will be done by Morgan's Excavating LLC of Mount Union and will be completed by late summer 2015.
The contract was awarded on a competitive basis and is being paid for out of a grant from the federal Office of Surface Mining. The federal fund is supported by a fee on the coal industry and is distributed to states as annual grants to reclaim mine sites that were abandoned prior to passage of the federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977.