- State News
- Gas Industry
Corbett Announces State Investment for Safety Enhancements, Improvements at 10 Airports
By PA Governor Tom Corbett
February 21, 2013
A $10 million state investment will fund important projects at 10 airports across Pennsylvania, Governor Tom Corbett said today.
“As I outlined in my transportation proposal, a multi-modal transportation system is essential to sustaining and growing our economy,” Corbett said. “These investments will enhance safety and improve facilities to ensure that regional needs are met while supporting jobs and the local economy.”
The grants are distributed through the Capital Budget/Transportation Assistance Program, which is funded through state capital bond dollars in the General Fund budget. The grants leverage more than $11 million in local matching funds. Authorized by the General Assembly, the grants are administered by PennDOT’s Bureau of Aviation.
The grants were approved today by the State Transportation Commission. The 15-member commission includes the Transportation Secretary, 10 private citizens appointed by the governor, and the majority and minority chairs of the state Senate and House Transportation Committees.
The state has 133 public-use airports and heliports and 15 of those airports have scheduled commercial service.
For more information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us and then click on the “2013 State Transportation Program” button, or call 717-783-8800.
Following is a by-county list of airport improvement grant recipients, the amount of funding, and a brief description of the projects:
- Allegheny County: Allegheny County Airport -- $512,500 to design and construct hangars.
- Bradford County: Bradford County Airport -- $200,000 to construct hangars.
- Cambria County: John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport -- $250,000 to construct hangars.
- Jefferson County: DuBois Regional Airport -- $1.5 million to continue construction on the Air Commerce Park.
- Luzerne County: Wilkes-Barre/Wyoming Valley Airport -- $450,000 to design and construct 30 hangars.
- McKean County: Bradford Regional Airport -- $1.1 million to construct and expand multi-tenant facilities.
- Philadelphia County: Philadelphia International Airport -- $5.1 million to improve the existing mechanical room and renovate an airfield to remove an existing stockpile.
- Schuylkill County: Schuylkill County/Joe Zerbey Airport -- $100,000 to construct an additional hangar.
- Venango County: Venango Regional Airport -- $210,000 to rehabilitate an apron and hangar.
- Westmoreland County: Arnold Palmer Regional Airport -- $612,500 to construct a Public Safety Building.